Thursday, September 23, 2010

Finally, some headhunters are calling



Finally...some headhunters are starting to call

At long last I think the word has gotten on the street: there's a new in-house recruiter at TriMedx and he used to be on the outside...and now the phone starts to ring.
When I was in the third-party recruiting role, AKA a "headhunter" I never took pleasure or found success in calling on corporate recruiters to solicit job orders. If that corporate guy happened to be a former third-party guy, then I definitely never called him/her. The way I saw it, people in the talent-acquisition role were sort of a competitor to me and really didn't have enough in common with my desired outcome to be someone I wanted involved in how I made a living. So, I just tried to avoid the in-house guy all together unless I was directed to speak with him by a hiring manager. Even then, if I didn't have a good relationship with the hiring manager, I usually just avoided it all together. But, when a hiring manager was interested in my candidate, had done an initial phone interview, and then directed me over to the in-house recruiter, well that was a whole different story. Still, however, I made it a point to put some distance between me and the in-house guy - I made friends with them, after the fact, but not as a means to getting in to the mix.

Now that I'm an in-house guy, I see it almost as a fault if a third-party guy approaches me as a means to getting a job order. It's an indicator of the level of the player. But, this fits in with my theory that people around you are revealing all kinds of things about themselves, all the time. Mostly, people don't even know that they're communicating when they are. But, if you tune in to the right frequency, you can pick up all kinds of signals.

So, third party guys, the couple of dozen who've checked me out on Linked-In, and even read my skrinkly little blog - are you really sure I'm the right guy to be calling?

No comments:

Post a Comment